[plug] How to let all users use Java?

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Fri Feb 23 03:19:00 WST 2001

I'm trying to install Java (jdk1.3) to allow all users to run the
programs.  I've installed the program as root from the jdk binary file
to /usr/bin/Java/jdk1.3.
     I tried to use the javac (java compiler) command as a user, and
it didn't work.  I haven't tried to use the javac command as root yet
(because it's 2:30 am, and by the time I'm ready to work some more on
learning linux I'm hoping to have some replies to all the questions
I'm about to post *grin*).
     I placed the binary file in the /usr/bin/Java directory, changed
the permissions on the binary installation file with the Gnome File
Manager to make it executable (and changed the owner and group to
root) and installed Java without problems (even my failed attempt at
installing sun's star office 5.2 was able to detect the jdk1.3 files).
     I'm working with Red Hat 7.0 and am still slowly learning to use
Linux from a textbook (Using Red Hat Linux 6.2, Special Edition, by
Alan Simpson and John Ray), so please gear replies to a newbie level
:-)

TIA,

Ari