[plug] install problems with StarOffice 5.2, what would this command do, moving around....

Peter Wright pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Feb 26 05:16:55 WST 2001

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 01:57:00PM +1600, Ari Finander wrote:
> Original message from: Peter Wright <pete at cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
[ snip ]
> What if I want all users to be able to use StarOffice?  I have 3 user
> accounts.
[ snip ]

Fair enough.

> >error, you don't have enough space. :)
>
> Checked it before and during the installation using GDiskFree, and
> there's about 4 Gigabytes of space left on my Red Hat 7.0 partition.
> Hence I'm leaning towards the corrupt download theory.

Okay, as long as you're sure that you're looking at the right partition.
Well, if you've only got one partition you'd have to, I guess. :)

> > Hence, "chmod 777" means... "give read, write, execute permission to
> > the owner; read, write, execute permission to the group; oh, and read,
> > write, execute permission to everyone else as well. :)
>
> Ummm...not something I really want to do, I think I'll ignore Sun's
> advice on that one.

Well it doesn't really matter, as it's just an install executable. All you
really want is to be able to execute it, so just
chmod u+x filename
(assuming you own the file) will add execute permission for the user/owner.

[ snip ]
> See above, I checked before and during with GDiskFree, there's tonnes o'
> room on this partition (a little less than 4GB left).

Then I hereby announce I am bemused. Well, corrupt download is a
possibility I guess. Or perhaps corrupt filesystem. Perhaps someone can
suggest a way you can verify your downloaded copy of the install file just
to make sure that it _is_ corrupted (it'd be a real shit if you downloaded
the whole huge thing again and exactly the same problem occurred).

[ snip ]
> Well, I can do it from memory:
>
> I typed:
>
> cd /mnt/winc/Ari's Backup/Disk
> 1/Downloads/Downloads98/Linux/Star_Office/
>
> and it resulted in an unending never changing series of > prompts
> without the root at boxie prefix (boxie is my machine's name :-) no
> matter what I typed (cd, dir, ls, quit, exit, q, damnit, bastard,
> etc...)

:)

Your problem is the ' symbol - not to mention the spaces.

Try the following - type

cd /mnt/winc/Ar<TAB>/Dis<TAB>/Downloads/Downloads98/Linux/Star_Office

...where by <TAB> I mean hit the TAB key. Assuming you're using a default
bash configuration, this should work okay.

You should find that the directory names will complete automagically and it
will look something like this:

cd /mnt/winc/Ari\'s\ Backup/Disk\ 1/Downloads/Downloads98/Linux/Star_Office

The single quote and the spaces _must_ be escaped, because they are special
characters to the shell - if you don't escape them (prepend with \) the
shell tries to interpret them, causing problems such as you've encountered.
(BTW, you should be able to get out of that > prompt either by typing
another single quote and hitting enter, or just by hitting ctrl-C)

Instead of using the \ backslash to escape special characters, you can also
enclose the entire argument (the path) in double-quote characters, like so:

root at boxie# cd "/mnt/winc/Ari's Backup/Disk 1/Downloads/Downloads98/Linux/Star_Office"

...and that should also work okay. But I'd strongly recommend you take
advantage of tab-filename-completion whenever possible, so you don't have
to think about this sort of thing too much. Oh, and just _don't_ create
filenames or directories with spaces in their names under Linux. You can do
them, they're just (almost always) more trouble than they're worth.

> Ari
> spodosaurus at start.com.au

Hope that helps somewhat,

Pete.
--
http://cygnus.uwa.edu.au/~pete/

--
Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely
locked.