[plug] what would this command do if typed as root?

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Fri Feb 23 15:50:00 WST 2001

I know I should look this up either in the book or in the online
documentation, but while we're on the subject: How can I place all of
the user accounts on my linux box in a single group (both command line
and graphical methods for Gnome on RH7.0 would be appreciated)?

 TIA,

 Ari

Original message from: Garry <bigbadbill at dingoblue.net.au>

>Ari..
>
>This is how permissions work.. There are a few simple concepts coming
>together at once here.
>
>People on the Linux system are divided into three groups. These are
root,
>members of a group, and the rest. (There can be many different
groups, but
>think about a single group for a file..)
>
>The number 777 in permissions is not seven hundred and seventy seven.
It is