[plug] ls

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Mon Feb 26 22:49:56 WST 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, James Andrewartha wrote:
> That's because bash globs (expands) the command line, turning *.html into
> all the .html files in the directory, eg index.html links.html etc, and
> then the final arugment to ls is the root directory, so it lists that as
> well. You want ls -R "*.html" / to stop the shell expansion happening.

Bash won't expand it if it cant (and in my root directory, it cant). And
even still ls won't recognise to expand *.html itself, rather it'll go
search for a file *.html and not find it either. So even if it's quoted it
won't do what Ryan said. Or am I completely missing something here?

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham
 bernard at blackham.com.au