[plug] More installing Java questions...

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Sat Feb 24 04:07:00 WST 2001

Hello,

     I'm getting the impression that perhaps I should not have
installed Java (jdk1.3) as root in /usr/bin/Java/ on my RH7.0
partition.  Why is this bad?  How do I uninstall it, and where should
I try and install it via a user account?  I require all users of my
system to be able to use the java commands/packages/etc.  Do I have to
use root to give the user account special permissions when I use the
user account to reinstall jdk1.3 to enable the account to run the
install?  Will installing it in /usr or /usr/bin automatically enable
all users to use the programs?
     The install of the jdk1.3 and documentation worked fine, and all
users can use the files and programs IF they type the entire path for
the command along with the command, even when at the command's
directory in the terminal window.  In windows I could set a "path" in
autoexec.bat to work around this and allow me to type Java commands
directly from the command prompt: is there a complementary method in
Linux?

Thanks again,

Ari