[plug] Partitions

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Tue Feb 27 10:46:09 WST 2001

List,

I'm currently revisiting the partition layout in my dual boot windows 98 and
Mandrake 7.2 box (13 Gig drive, presently ~ 40 % to Windows and 60 % Linux).
I was just curious what layout others out there are using, and have been
happy or not so happy with. I've posted problems I've had with Windows
messing around with the partition table and, rendering my Linux unbootable
before, and various members including Mike and Leon posted useful comments
about rebuilding the table by hand, and making sure the first Linux
partition is a primary, not extended partition. These have certainly helped
somewhat.

Any advice, or experiences regarding separate partitions within Linux would
also be appreciated, including which should be primary, and which should be
extended/logical. I've dabbled with separate /usr, /home and / partitions,
but I haven't settled on what is best for me. Is a /boot partition
worthwhile?

In case some one suggests it, I have read the latest large disk and
partitioning how-to's. I'm just interested in what layout others are using,
and/or suggesting.

Any comments?

Dennis,