[plug] Advantages of Linux-based firewalls?

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 20:40:54 WST 2001

Hi list,

Now that Telstra have finally got around to upgrading
the exchange in our area (Girrawheen), we've been able
to get ADSL the last couple of days.

Currently it is connected to Dad's W98SE box which
does masquerading (or Internet Connection Sharing as
M$ is so fond of their "commonplace" names :). Since
getting the fast link he is also in the process of
putting on a free, but proprietary firewall program
(not sure which one).

I have been saying for several months that we should
replace it with a dedicated gateway machine (I have
most of a lowend Pentium, or even a 386 which might do
the job) running you-know-what. So far they show no
interest whatsoever.

My question is: does anyone know of any compelling
reasons to switch? Yes, I've already tried the
standard "more stable and secure" lines, but they
don't seem to care. I've also (I think) used the "open
source -> better all round" but they don't buy that
either.

Any great advantages, horror stories, irrefutable
arguments, etc? Keep in mind he has an MCP in Access
and is very much coming from a Windows background (he
would definitely be capable of using Linux from an
intelligence point of view, if he was at all
interested).

Thanks in advance
Andrew

=====
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?