[plug] windows and dhcp (was: linux firewall)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Feb 28 10:46:01 WST 2001

Christian wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 08:42:01AM +0800, billk at iinet.net.au wrote:
>> True, but the ones it will have open (depending on the firewall settings,
>> if used) will be 139, possibly dhcp etc which can be easily shown to be
>> vulnerable -  ie.e, adverstised windows shares.

> Does Windows 9x run a DHCP server??

No, it runs a DHCP client which believes anything you tell it.

>> Also, dns probes on my dialup seem to be hitting new highs, as well as ftp
>> ones at the moment.

> And if you were running a default install of Windows then those FTP and
> DNS probes would have zilch effect.  As I said, the default installs of
> most Linux distributions would be vulnerable to a remote root exploit.

Actually, the default ``Paranoid'' install for Mandrake 7.2 adds
`ALL:ALL EXCEPT localhost:DENY'' to /etc/hosts.deny and a portscan
reveals -nothing-. It also installs a SolarDesigner-patched kernel,
which fixes about 2/3 of all application buffer overflows - yes, even
ones which haven't been detected.

> At least with Windows the user has to run malicious code to give a
> remote attacker complete control over their machine.

No, all the user has to to is *receive* (not even read) email. Complete
service, we come to you... open wide!

--
I bought a new computer;
it came fully loaded.