[plug] FW: [UNIX ECI] Open Goverment _ ECI- Fin Review artical

The Thought Assassin assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Wed Feb 28 13:55:08 WST 2001

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, McMeikan, Andrew wrote:
> > Emma has already talked to the Tax Office who indicated that they
> > believe there would be about 60 Linux/Unix users only australia wide.
> > Emma wants to talk to a number of business that would use the
> > Unix/Linux based ECI if it were available.
> Time to be counted folks, do you use Linux/Unix?

Even if they feel there are not enough users, not to publish the source
code is absolutely ridiculous. If they published the source code, then
(assuming the demand is what we say it is) someone will fill the niche by
supporting a Linux/Unix version. If the demand isn't enough for anyone to
step into this role, then they were right and we were wrong, but they have
lost nothing in proving it, and those of us who want to use unsupported
code are free to.

Not supporting a Linux/Unix version is a judgement call apparently based
on inaccurate data. I can accept that, but we should certainly do our
best to provide a more accurate assessment of Linux/Unix usage.

On the other hand, not releasing the source code to a piece of
government-funded software is a deliberate act against the best interests
of citizens. This is clearly immoral and likely unconstitutional.

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> We could mount a Freedom of Information Act application.  They would be
> able to weasel their way out of it, but maybe for public relations
> reasons (if we put out a Press Release from ourselves and the other
> LUGs) they wouldn't want to.  Can PLUG spare $30 from its coffers for
> the application fee?

I can spare $30 just on principle, and I don't even have a business, so I
am not financially affected. Perhaps even 6 of us could chip in $5 each?
Anyway, the money is not the problem, though perhaps making the money come
from PLUG coffers (officially, that is :) rather than individuals is a
good move. However, for the abovementioned public relations reasons, it
would be better if this were (again, at least officially) a joint campaign
of the nation's Linux and  Unix user organisations.

I am prepared to put in the leg-work necessary, but:
a) It seems we already have contacts with concerned parties nationally, so
there is no point duplicating the coordination effort. Can those who are
in contact with these other parties give us an idea of exactly who is
involved, and what the present communications channels are?
b) Committee people, what is the necessary process for the club to
officially endorse something like this?
c) I know even less about legal matters than Bill Gates knows about
computer science. I also have severe beaurocracy-phobia. :) Can Jeremy or
someone else knowledgeable donate some time to helping me with the legal
rigmarole?

In the meantime, don't let me distract you from writing your piece about
how your business needs the Linux version. Just remember that this battle
is a small part of a larger-scale war.

-Greg Mildenhall