[plug] Linux memory question

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Feb 28 16:26:00 WST 2001

Hello All,
	I have a friend that works in porting Unix Apps from one OS to another.

He asked me several pointed questions about linux memory accounting.  I don't
know the answers myself.  Now "Use the source luke" is not an approriate
answer, and niether is "email the maintainer."

Do you guys know the answers to:

1) What is cache (physical memory), as reported by free, and what does it
   contain ?

2) What is buffers (physical memory), as reported by free, and what does it
   contain ?

3) Is shared memory a combination of used, buffers & cache ? or used & buffers?
   or used & cache ?

4) Does Linux have a parameter like other UNIX's such as DESFREE, used by Solaris?
   In Solaris, FREEMEM is compared to DESFREE, if it is lower then it will start
   desperation swapping to free up memory to above this level.
   If Linux doesn't have this parameter what technique does it use to free memory ?

course pointers to websites that detail this would also be greatly
appreciated.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein