[plug] New subscriber

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 1 18:00:08 WST 2001

Anvil Iron wrote:

> I am a new subscriber,
> I have a pentium 100  6.4gighard drive with 28mb of RAM. this will be
> upgraded in the near future.
> I bought the "Linux pocketbook third edition" and I have the choice of
> Mandrake7.2 or Redhat7.0.
> I chose redhat simply because my isp says it has limited support for this
> package.
> I got this error in the disk partition stage of the install
>
> Error Last cylinder is not free
> File ERRORS.txt not found - no verbose mesages available
> Bye!
>
> Does any one know how to fix this or where I would search to find more info.
> Finally am I expecting too much to run linux on the above spec machine?
>
> Regards.
> Colin.Morton
> Perth, Western Australia.
> iron at iinet.net.au
> whitworthsocket at yahoo.com

I realise that this will probably draw lots of unfriendly replies, but,
I have seen lots of problems raised, with these two versions of Linux,
and, if you are new to Linux, I suggest that you try an earlier version,
of Red Hat.

We had run Red Hat 5.2, then, replaced it with Red Hat 6.0, when it was
available commercially.

We installed Red Hat 6.0, and, upgraded it to RH 6.2, and, the only
problem that we have had with it, is that the Netscape that came with it
(RH 6.2), is a heap of rubbish, causing me to upgrade from Netscape 4.74
to 4.61. Yes, that was an upgrade - 4.61 runs relatively stably (?),
and, does not make kamikaze attacks on the system, like 4.74 did. 4.74
appeared to be a complementary virus, and, 4.61 works, most of the time,
although, with 32MB RAM (that I have), it is best not to have more than
about 4 sessions of Netscape going at the same time.

My computer is a Cyrix 6x86, supposedly the equivalent of a P120 or
better (rubbish!), with 32MB RAM, and a 6.4GB HDD. You should not need
to upgrade your system, to run Linux. I can, and, have, run Netscape and
Star Office 5.2, concurrently. Star Offic may take about 5 minutes to
load, and, to exit, but, apart from that, it is okay to run the two,
together.

It all depends on what exactly you want to do with the system (the same
old story).

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988