[plug] New subscriber

Anvil Iron iron at mail.iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 1 18:22:47 WST 2001

Bernard ,
Thanks for the prompt reply
>> Bye!
>
>Are you making /boot as a separate partition?
>
>It's usually safest to make a /boot partition of about 10MB so that the
>last cylinder is less 1024 because this causes havoc with some old
>machines.
Im out of my depth here I was trying to partition my hard drive before
installing linux.  The error message prevented me from even modifying the
boot partition

>> I got this error in the disk partition stage of the install
>>
>> Error Last cylinder is not free
>> File ERRORS.txt not found - no verbose mesages available

>Red Hat's site usually has solutions to most common problems, but finding
them takes a bit of digging.
I will take a look ,I have found the Linux documentation project

>> Finally am I expecting too much to run linux on the above spec machine?
>
>Not at all. Linux will run on `ancient' 386's. What are you planning
>to do with it? Our intranet server runs happily on a P75 with 32MB
>RAM. Used to be used as a desktop machine running linux for web browsing,
>etc.

I am involved in engineering and I have started studying architecture last
year.
I would like to have a stable OS to run a word processor browse the net and
run autocad 2000 and possibly some other drawing packages.
I have a Canon A3 printer. thats about all I can think of at the moment.

I was thinking of upgrading to a Celeron 600 with 64MB RAM and possibly a
CDrom burner

Regards.
Colin.Morton
Perth, Western Australia.