[plug] New subscriber

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Jan 1 20:08:42 WST 2001

Anvil Iron wrote:

> Does any one know how to fix this or where I would search to find more info.

Try using the diskdrake package under Mandrake's installer and see how
it reacts to the drive. You can always install RH over the top if it
works (formal all partitions if you do). There is no practical
difference between RH and Mdk as far as iiNet is concerned, except that
Mdk has better out-of-the-box ISDN support.

You are also likely to get an error like this if the disk's real
geometry is different to the partition table's ideas about it. Try using
different BIOS modes (LBA is best) and see if that has any impact.

> I have a pentium 100  6.4gighard drive with 28mb of RAM. this will be
> upgraded in the near future.

> Finally am I expecting too much to run linux on the above spec machine?

No. My gateway is a 486SLC40 with 12M of RAM and a 250MB HDD. It was a
bit of a pain to install, though. (-:
I have a gateway/nameserver/webserver/proxy machine running for a
surprisingly well-endowed CBD corporation which is a P133 with 64M and
was until recently (sans proxy) only 2GB HDD (now 10GB) ISDN through
Chariot. Another (northern suburbs, iiNet, ADSL) the same spec except
P200. And another which is a K6-II-700+256M+90GB (Fremantle, the late
q-net, 128K wireless, also does an SQL DB). Still another
K6-II-300+64M+10G which doubles as a workstation (Balcatta, Indigo
networks, modem, also does Windows shares). And others...

--
"At Fluke we spend about 5 times as much per Microsoft seat as for Unix
seat in support costs. [...] I see notices at least once a week warning