[plug] Nutscrape 4.74 etc

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Jan 3 20:54:35 WST 2001

Christian wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 08:24:52PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> On a 32MB machine, I have had about 30 Mozilla browser windows open, no
>> worries, likewise Konqueror, no problems. Netscape tends to bog down at
>> around the 20 windows mark, or if you are running multiple *instances*
>> as opposed to multiple windows through one instance, or at the drop of a
>> hat. Maybe you are running some unnecessary services? Or possibly
>> Mandrake have done something mysterious to make it all work better.

> Since Mozilla has a higher memory footprint than Netscape I wonder how
> you come to this conclusion.  Also, in my experience, since Netscape and
> X both take about 20 megs of memory they don't run all that well on a
> 32MB machine... you must have that machine tuned to perfection.

No tuning, it just goes. Unless you count Mandrake's tuning (they do a
lot of things like the relink mentioned elsewhere and compiling for
Pentium by default). Linux shares a lot of things.

For example, my first Mozilla instance weighs in at 48MB, of which 47M
is in RAM and 14.5M of that is shared; top lists 7 of these with 2
browser windows open. I've been using this one for a few hours. The
other 4 Mozilla instances are 12.7M of which 5M is in RAM and 2.7M of
that shared. Evidently, some sharing is going on that top doesn't
understand (copy on write?). There are also seven instances of
StarOffice at 95/75/8M each, four of licq at 6.5/4.5/3.5M, one of
gnomesword (a glade-developed app; 7.6/7.6/5.2M), assorted bits of KDE,
some bashes... actually, now that I think about it, I have two separate
Mozillas running, one on my wife's display and one on the built-in
display (running since last night). I have 128M of RAM and there is 56M
pushed into swap.

Switching to root, X is purportedly (I have a Banshee) using 81/70/1.5M
and we add assorted loggers, five instances of Apache plus PERL
subdaemons, cron, reiser update daemons, secureshell daemons, postfix
and other administrivia. And I'm running nfsd; suppose I'd better nobble
that, since I'm no longer using it.

--
"The system runs with NT 3.51, service pack 5.
  At now, we have no idea why."