[plug] Speaking of kernel panics...

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon Jan 8 00:09:32 WST 2001

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Dennis Plester wrote:

> haven't booted Windows for about 2 weeks, yet I've booted Linux everyday now
> . Could Windows have scrambled by table if it hasn't even run?

Hmmmm ... I guess not. But as Leon explained, it has that reputation when
it does run.

> When you say, keep a record of my partition locations, what do you mean? The
> block/cluster numbers?

Partitons are allocated by cylindars. Use fdisk to get a list.

> When you say rebuild my partition table, what tool is used for that? I

fdisk, (or disk druid?)

> assume there is a way of rebuilding the table if you know the locations, and
> hey presto your system is back. Or maybe I can back the table up and restore
> it somehow?

It doesnt take long to manually rebuild the table. I guess you could use
'dd' or whatever to backup and restore the table if you know which blocks.

> Sorry about the bleeding obvious questions, but I'm not familiar with the
> concepts. I have played with partitions before, but only in an exclusively
> windows environment. I've never had to rebuild a partition table when my
> system was exclusively running windows.

Nor would you if it was exclusively running Linux :)

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--