[plug] Speaking of kernel panics...

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Mon Jan 8 07:58:57 WST 2001

Mike, Leon, Nick & others,

Thanks for the help and all of your useful comments. I'm going to work
through your various points and set myself up to prevent this kind of thing
happening again.

I also take your point Mike that this kind of thing wouldn't be a problem if
I worked exclusively in Linux, but unfortunately, I'm not quite ready to go
that far yet, even if I am only using the Windows side for entertainment
(games) only.

Is there any advantage to having two completely separate hard disks, one for
Linux, the other for Windows, in order to prevent Windows scribbling my
Linux stuff, partition table, or otherwise?

Thanks again guys.

Dennis.

Mike wrote:

Hmmmm ... I guess not. But as Leon explained, it has that reputation when
it does run.

Partitons are allocated by cylindars. Use fdisk to get a list.

fdisk, (or disk druid?)

It doesnt take long to manually rebuild the table. I guess you could use
'dd' or whatever to backup and restore the table if you know which blocks.

Nor would you if it was exclusively running Linux :)

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--