[plug] unsubscribe

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Mon Jan 8 10:08:17 WST 2001

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 02:13:27PM +0000, navarre at plug.linux.org.au wrote:
> Hello Plug
>
> This is a dig at the vocal members of this list that appear to relish in
> contributing unhelpful comment to questions raised by other users of this
> list.

I don't think I usually make unhelpful comments.  I might criticise
something someone has said but if someone asks a question and I respond
then it will usually be with an answer.  In the last week I have
answered questions (or provided contributions) on subjects ranging from
Netscape's Roaming Access feature to solving a kernel panic to virus
scanning with Postfix.

> The replies that Jeff received to his list request to unsubscribe were
> impolite in particular telling him to follow the instructions on
> unsubscribing. I looked on the current web site on the list.phtml page
> and it very informatively tells one how to be a part of this list
> (sometimes slanging match) BUT the method of unsubscribing is not shown.
> When the webmaster placed the current web site for all to see and invited
> comment I recall I said then that there is no instructions on now to
> separate from the list.

It wasn't a request to unsubscribe.  He was NOT asking a question -- he
was simply trying to unsubscribe.  Aside from the fact that everyone is
presented with a copy of the unsubscribe instructions when they join
(and EXPLICITLY requested to keep those instructions in case they need
to unsubscribe), quite obviously sending a message to the reflector
address is going to result in everyone seeing it.  Finally, while the
web site does only contain instructions for subscribing, it is quite
obvious from those instructions how to unsubscribe.  If you send a
message saying "subscribe" to plug-request at plug.linux.org.au in order to
join then doesn't it follow that sending a message saying "unsubscribe"
to plug-request at plug.linux.org.au will allow you to leave?