[plug] newbie list

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Mon Jan 8 15:43:24 WST 2001

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 03:10:29PM +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:

> So if you haven't got a problem with the current mailing list, why do you
> think it would be better to have a second one?

Having two lists would, on average, half the response time for a newbies
question.  Of course, still not as quick as doing a search of the
archives...

> The main problems I see with having two lists would be
> a) confusion for new users as to which list is most suitable for their
>    questions

So they send it to both lists meaning that the non-newbies on the newbie
list get sick of getting two copies of every email and unsubscribe.
Then there's the issue of whether newbie questions are still appropriate
on this list and when newbies post such a question: a whole bunch of
people are going to have something new to object to.  Instead of just
complaints about newbies being unwilling to spend 2 minutes researching
something we're also going to get all the complaints about whether we
should have seen the question in the first place.  This will breed new
arguments, for example, "Is this really a newbie question?", "Should
newbies be on the PLUG list?", "When should a newbie make the transition
from one list to the other?"  The idea of a newbie list seems to be to
increase harmony and reduce flamewars but I suspect it will do the
opposite.  For memory this seems to be the main reason why the previous
consensus on this list was to simply maintain one list but encourage
newbies to  a) search before they post and b) be willing to do some
work/thinking for themselves.  Personally I think this is the best
strategy which can be to some extent achieved by strongly suggesting
this in the email containing the subscription information and on the web
site.