[plug] unsubscribe

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Mon Jan 8 16:31:16 WST 2001

>I concur the instructions should be one the web site. People tend to not
>read the full e-mail they receive when subscribed, just scan the top two
>lines and think "cool I'm in" and disregard the rest.

Agreed. There are many reasons why people may lose track of the original
instruction, and I expect to many people the solution would not be obvious.

>However frustrating it is when subscribers send "flame bait" to the list It
>would be better served if list members simply ignored them rather than
>adding to the soup by posting snide/humerous/wittey/condescending
>(delete as appropriate) remarks.

Absolutely. The amount of noise generated on the list by people objecting
and counter objecting and counter counter... etc. to minor transgressions
of list etiquette far exceeds the damage done by the original posting in
many (most!) cases, IMHO.

I reckon the best way to optimise the signal to noise ratio for the list is
for list members to show some tolerance to the rules being broken
occassionally (which is not the same as having no rules).

Re starting a separate list - as Matt has said it's all been discussed
before, and concensus was I think that it wouldn't achieve much. I think we
should just try a little harder to make this list friendly to "newbies".

>On this last point I am now guilty
D'oh! Now me too !

>0.04c (as I believe is VAR)

My 0.044 c (inc GST)