[plug] SCSI HD Problems

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Tue Jan 9 12:36:25 WST 2001

Hi Mike,

>On a RH6.2 system with an Adaptec 29160 card and a Fuji 20GB SCSI HD I
>have been getting the following errors fairly consistently with original
>kernel:
>
>Info fld=0x165c5ba Current sd08:06 sense key medium error
>Additional sense indicates read retries error
>scsidisk I/O error dev 08:06 sector <sector#>
><action ie cp, mv> Input/Output error

are you using the aic7xxx driver? I had a similar problem with an ASUS
board and aic7xxx driver and found that recompiling the kernel (2.2.18)
with Tagged Command Queueing turned OFF helped a great deal. Still get the
odd "Additional sense indicates ..." type msg when I backup to my SCSI tape
drive, but nothing serious.

According to the xconfig help button certain drives don't like this feature
turned on (which is said to speed things up when working correctly) - might
be worth a try.

cheers,

Dave.

  David Griffiths                             griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection          Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia