[plug] newbie list, show of hands

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Jan 9 13:54:41 WST 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Scott wrote:

> Jeez  people have been saying for a while they don't want to write to this
> list because of people who will point out your spelling mistakes, or people
> who usually only write when they have something bad to say, or because most
> of what we write is crap, or a few other reasons.

Can any of those people please provide any concrete examples?

There are always exceptions, and there are nasty people everywhere in the
world, but I can not think of any example where someone got abused over
anything other than posting an ambiguous question without sufficient
detail (ie not providing config files) even when requested several times,
or repeatedly showing a total lack of willingless to learn, or
continuously neglecting to trim the quotes from their replies after being
requested to do so several times.

> I personally would like a list totally dedicated to tech support.

In that case, get LSWA, or whoever, to PAY people to basically fill a
tech-support (aka Helldesk) position, which anybody can tell you is NOT an
enjoyable job. As I mentioned before, PLUG is volunteer run, and although
most of us are more than willing to help people, we refuse to chew their
food for them.

> I don't see this as taking something away this list but rather
> enhancing the whole thing afterall 2 are better than one.

Whereas I see it as halving the effectiveness of both lists, or worse,
because the sum of the two halves become greater than the whole.

 - Matt