[plug] BadBlocks

Peter Wilsmore djinn at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 11 08:28:12 WST 2001

> Luggers,
>
> If you execute the bad blocks program in rw mode and get it to spit out
> =
> a file of those blocks, does the OS also keep track and not write to =
> them? I have an ext2 fs on a big SCSI that has some bad blocks but for =
> some reason after the initial install the OS still tried to write to it.

No, the program sucks like that just executing the program is not
enough for it to keep a track of the badblocks

> Is there another way to tell the OS not to use a portion of the disk?

Yes, from memory you put the output of the badblocks command
into a file called /etc/badblocks. I cannot remember where I got
this information from but I do know I have had to do it before.