[plug] Dial-up on boot.

Brian Tombleson brian at ParadigmIT.com.au
Sun Jan 14 10:24:43 WST 2001

> > I have a script in /etc/rc.d/init.d (that works manually fine) and the
> > appropriate link in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d (S99 so it's last), but it don't
dial.

> Hm, a few days too late - but I've just realised Brian wanted to auto-dial
> as the box booted up, not as the connection got booted off. :)
> Why not just execute and background wvdial from /etc/rc.d/rc.local?

WVDial will auto-reconnect when booted, so you're correct as re-dial isn't
the problem.

The problem is the boot.  It won't dial from any of the init scripts..not
even pick up the line ..  unless it's merely exiting when the init scripts
exit (?) .. but I thought that either the keyword 'daemon' or the suffice
'&' would put it in a permanent child shell - which it doesn't seem to do.

Any suggestions?

TIA

- Brian.