[plug] checking serial ports

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Sun Jan 14 21:00:16 WST 2001

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Barry wrote:

> i am trying to setup 2 modems on my serial ports on ttyS1 this is no problem
> but when i try to comuunicate on ttyS0 i get no response. even if i swap the
> known working modem over.

ObSillyQuestion:

Check you don't have gpm (mouse "driver") running on ttyS0

ie if you run "ps auwx|grep gpm" and you see a line such as:
root      3625  0.0  0.0  1240   52 ttyS1    S    Jan13   0:01
/usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/ttyS1 -t ms -Rmsc -3

then kill that process (in this case 3625) and try the com port again.

 - Matt

"Think of computer security like powertools. The day you think you are totally
 safe is the day you end up hurt."  -- Alan Cox 2000/12/21