[plug] Video cards - the sequel

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Jan 16 12:02:45 WST 2001

Dennis Plester wrote:

> so brief run down of my thoughts regarding 3d cards.

D'oh! I missed that thread. ^_^
Personally, I've found Matrox G200/G4x0 cards have excellent support,
especially for obtuse projects like Linux DVD players, etc... But I'm eyeing
off the grunt of a GeForce. ^_^

> I took up my own advice and purchased a Geforce2 MX from PLE for $209 last
> Friday. My dream of even faster 3d accelerated framerates and higher

Wooo! $209 for a GeForce2 MX? Is that a 32MB card?

> resolutions has been realised, and I would recommend this card without
> reservation in the bang for buck stakes. It even states clearly on the back
> of the box that the card's graphic feature set is fully supported in Linux,
> as well as other miscellaneous MS operating systems! I'm yet to try all of
> the features out, but UT, Q3 and others fairly fly on absolute maximum
> detail settings and the Twinview option (dual monitors) looks interesting
> too! (Not sure about Twinview in Linux though)

Does anyone know about Twinview with Linux? I have a Matrox G400 at work and
use Dual Head under linux all the time and it's "way cool"(tm). I'd be
interested to know how easy/hard/possible it is to do similar with TwinView...

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :