[plug] lpd probs

Paul Dean paul at canningcollege.wa.edu.au
Tue Jan 16 14:00:42 WST 2001

hya all,

got a prob with lpd not being able to find a lp port

I just compiled 2.4.0 (with kgcc) on my workstation running RH7.0, lpd
works find with 2.2.17.
I've checked my .config file and have parport.o and parport_pc.o as a module

when I load lpd it reports "modprobe cannot find char-major-6"
"modprobe -c" reports char-major-6 is alias for lp

the module loads fine but the daemon can't find the device

i've checked /dev and lp0-3 are all char-major-6, lp is 3k file root owned

depmod checks out all fine too, no unresolved symbols

i'm little lost on this one, can anyone help??? please

Regards

Paul Dean
IT Support Officer
Canning College