[plug]ISA Jumpers

navarre at plug.linux.org.au navarre at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Jan 18 08:46:41 WST 2001

<Snip>
  Anybody else miss the old ISA cards where you used
> jumpers to set it to what you want?  No confusion that way.  You tell the
> computer how you want it, not the other way round.

>  - Matt

Yes - I do. There was a time you could pull a new network card out of the
box, move the IRQ jumper to position 10, change the port to 230 and know
that the IPX.COM driver would see the NIC, load NETX.COM and be a
connected part of the network all in one go. That took about 7 minutes
from walking to the machine to walking away, no reboots, the three
required files IPX.COM, NETX.COM and NET.CFG would fit on one 360K floppy
disk. Ah, them was the days when sys admin life was controllable. Now
just a memory.

PCI, pugg and prey BIOS's and Winblows have taken it all away.

Navarre