[plug] Mandrake 7.2 Problems

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Sat Jan 20 20:11:43 WST 2001

Daniel wrote:

> i've just joined the mailing list and was wondering whether anyone might be
> able to help me with installing Mandrake 7.2.  I can get all the way up to
> the part where it formats the partitions, it manages to format the swap
> file but when it comes to the root partition it just sits there, it doesn't
> freeze up or anything like that and it seems to be like it's doing
> something, but i've left it there for over 6 hours and it never seems to
> pass that point.  Any suggestions???  i'm trying to install it on a 686
> with 32mb RAM, 48x CD an 10GB hard drive.

Only a guess but I once experienced that behaviour when I was trying to
install onto a disk with bad sectors.  I would second Matthew's
suggestion of trying to format with partition magic or some other format
utility.  In my case trying to format with the DOS format program also
failed but did give more descriptive error messages.

Steve
--
FreeBSD maestro.dhis.org 3.4-STABLE i386
 8:05PM  up 5 days,  1:07, 2 users, load averages: 0.48, 0.28, 0.12