[plug] Celeron vs Duron

Ari Finander spodosaurus at start.com.au
Sun Jan 21 15:34:00 WST 2001

I read in the latest issue of one of the Australian computer magazines
that the Duron has a 200mhz FSB, whereas the latest of celerons go to
100Mhz.  Where the 66mhz Celerons end, and the 100Mhz FSB Celerons
begin I can't recall at this time.

However, if your friend decides to replace the board and CPU, let me
know, as I need to upgrade my wife's computer soonish (after I'm out
of hospital soonish, that is), and I love my Cel400/Aopen BX board
(then again, I play no 3D games and run an old 8mb TNT card or some
such).

Ari
spodosaurus at start.com.au

Original message from: Dennis Plester <dennisp at tiwest.com.au>

>A general question, but perhaps with still a Linux slant.
>
>A friend of mine currently has a Celeron 400 running on a BX chipset
>motherboard, and is currently considering his upgrade options. They
are
>either to upgrade to a Celeron 700 on the same board for approx $200,
versus
>selling the board and CPU, and then shelling out approximately $375 -
>purchase a Duron 700 and suitable motherboard.
>
>Web reviews and magazine articles infer that the Duron leaves the
Celeron
>well behind in all benchmarks. The Celeron 700 still runs at a 66 MHz
front
>bus speed, whereas the Duron runs at 100 as far as I understand, and
>supposedly has stronger floating point and integer math than the
Celeron to
>boot.
>
>My friend runs Windows exclusively, but wants to investigate Linux.
He