[plug] Boot up problems RH6.2

Mark Bailey mbailey at ois.com.au
Sat Jan 27 18:21:04 WST 2001

Hi Pluggers,

Having a few problems with my RH6.2 box.

For some reason it continually sayin that drive was
not cleanly unmounted, check foeced. Then on each boot up it gets
itself hung up while checking the drive with the following warning.

Warning... fsck.ext2 for device /dev/hda1 exited with signal 11. [FAILED]

*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

Obviously I have tried the Control-D bit to no avail.

I have managed to get it to finally boot up completely
and now I am a bit afraid to shut it down until I can
check to see if the drive is ok.

Is there anything I can run to do a check on the filesystems.

Also something I noticed in the dmesg is the following which
does not sound correct. Surely the VFS line should not be
read only. Any ideas where I can fix this.

autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 64k freed