[plug] stuck upgrading kernel 2.4.0

sol sol at eftel.com.au
Wed Jan 31 18:32:10 WST 2001

hello Pluggers,

Not so long ago I crashed Suse 7.0 box (that'll teach me to mess around in root). After messing around with Debian 2.1 for a while and deciding it was all a bit too grown up for me I decided to go back to the relative safety of Suse. Everything seemed to install okay, but YaST2 would vanish every time I tried to detect the modem. (I wrote to the list some time ago with this same problem. I wrote down the solution - something to do with writing a script in /etc/rc.dialout I think - but have since lost it. I was too embarrassed to ask again so I thought I'd try to work it out myself.) I could identify the problem using wvdialconf but could not find the solution despite checking various help pages and websites. So I then thought maybe if I install the 2.4 kernel the problem would be solved - I've read that 2.4 has better hardware detection/ more device drivers. But despite following the instructions in PC World faithfully it just won't install.
    If I type the command:
# bzip2 -cd linux-2.4.0-test11.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -
It comes back with a list of pathways all followed by "could not open file: directory does not exist"
    If I type the command:
# bzip2 -cd linux-2.4.0-test11.tar.bz2
the process takes off but runs away on its own. When I tried to umount /cdrom I was told that it was busy. Eventually I had to kill off the suspect processes until I could umount /cdrom. The final message I get when running the latter command is as follows:
bad_addr:
            PRINTK ("ncp_d_validate: invalid address %lx\n",dent_addr);
            goto out;
bad_align:
            PRINTK ("ncp_d_validate:unaligned address %lx\n",dent_addr);
            goto out;
}
static struct dentry

I was in /cdrom/kernal directory when I issued these commands. I'm sure that I've made a relatively simple error but I'm still a newbie to command line. I'd be appreciative to anyone who can help me move beyond command line L plates.

Ta,

Sol