[plug] Sound under Debian

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Sun Jul 1 15:20:23 WST 2001

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Aunty Jack wrote:

> i presume you're using the via 686 chipset ??

Only the 686B chip, in combinartion with the KT133 or KT133A exibit this
bug. 686A with KT133 (like my Aopen AK33 board) are file, as are all KT266
boards.

> well, it has a hardware bug, and the sound doesn't work under linux, and even
> under windoze in many cases.

The sound on mine works fine under both windows and linux, you need to
compile your kernel with the via AC97 sound support, or install the
required drivers under windows. The sound output isn't much to write home
to though, so if you are serious about sound, get a SbLive or better card.

Debian likely comes with the requred modules to get your onboard sound
working, but i forgot their names. You will need to configure them in
/etc/modules.conf  esound doesn't need any configuration from my
experience, and will work once the kernel is configured correctly

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au