[plug] RE: Setup of Router

NVT Australia greg at nvt.com.au
Mon Jul 2 20:54:34 WST 2001

Hello everyone

Can you help on an issue with firewalls/routers? I am using a Red Hat 7.1
system (very nice) to set it up as a firewall and router. I can get to the
internet ok going thru a hub which goes into a netgear router and then to an
ADSL model. What I am trying to do is use the Red Hat 7.1 Linux machine as
the router an illuminate the netgear router. I have tried a few scenarios.
One being to take out the  netgear router and have the ADSL model going into
the 8 port hub. I then hooked up the two network cards from within the Linux
machine into the hub. The network cards were given the two IP address from
the ADSL line which were 203.59.99.77 for the gateway and 203.59.99.78 for
the IP address. I assumed there was then some way of assigning the machine
with a network  IP address of 192.168.0.1 and to call this the gateway? Do I
need a third network card for the internal network gateway as 192.168.0.1?
That's where I got stuck. It all worked OK in using E Smith under the same
IP address but there is something missing in Red Hat 7.1. After much head
banging I request your assistance.

TIA

Greg (newbyish)

PS look forward to seeing you all at the next meeting