[plug] RedHat/Mandrake

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Tue Jul 3 20:55:49 WST 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, John Knight wrote:

> Good to see some "hardkore" users with a "capital 4"! Mandrake 8.1 should be
> pretty good when that's released as Mandrake is one of my favoured distros
> (along with turbolinux). As for the clunkiness, try using the Reiser or XFS
> file system to speed things up a bit and make sure that you configure your
> kernel.

I already use reiserfs under slackware (got sick of 3d video drivers
crashing system, requireing an fsck)

I actually don't think too badly of redhat and mandrake, but I was
being slightly sarcastic to emphisis how people bond with a particular
distribution (or set of) and how different distributions suit different
people. The only real way to find out which one you like is to try many of
them.

I really like slackware because it boots quickly (I do have to turn my
computer off at night), I don't get a bad feeling when I use .tar.gz
files, and the small install size. I like the install because it isn't
demanding on hardware (no graphics), and you can configure exactly what
you wan't to install (without 100 submenus). I like it because it doesn't
strive to include everything including the kitchen sink, and still fits on
one CD. I like it bacuse it runs fine on 8meg systems (or at least it used
to).

Thanks
Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au