[plug] RE: Setup of Router

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Wed Jul 4 08:20:59 WST 2001

> Crossover cable?  Are you sure?  I've a Telstra cable modem (if
> it weren't for
> that shite 3GB limit I'd be downloading linux distros now) and it
> connects
> directly with network cards (an old realtek one in my wife's
> computer over an
> 18m ethernet cable and a USB ethernet adapter in mine over the 2m
> supplied
> cable) using regular ethernet cable (not corssover) without
> problems.  I'd
> assume that this is the same with an ADSL modem?  I'm no expert on this,
> though, 'cuz if I were I never would have been able to make this
> observation
> about regular ethernet rather than crossover cables because I'd have this
> darned smoothwall gateway/firewall fully functional already!  I'm
> assuming
> that if these types of modems required crossover cable, that this
> setup that I
> currently have would simply not work...?
>
> Ari

our right about the line that it shouldn't work, it may just be that the
port is auto sensing/set to use as an uplink port. Basically you can
crossover on the wire, or if your hardware supports it at the port. Hubs and
switches have this feature in order to allow you to cascade them together.
It is usually done with a little press down switch that toggles between
normal and crossover.

My guess is that your cable modem is set for this or automatically detects
it.

Michael Hunt

An Aussie in Africa.