Video Compression.. Was My Matrox bitch.. was [plug] Unsubscirbe

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Wed Jul 4 16:08:23 WST 2001

Simon Scott wrote:

>         LOL. Takes me about 5.5 hours to turn a 100 minute DVD (about 5 and
> a bit gig) into a divx on an Athlon 1 Gig :)

Yeah but turning an MPEG-2 into an MPEG-4 involves lossy re-compressing an
already lossy format. This at least, only has one stage of compression.
Being VCD's also, it's only MPEG-1, but at least it's VBR MPEG-1.

It takes me 30 mins to record 30 mins.. then about 1.5 hrs to compress it.
I'm also re-sampling at the moment, as VCD is only 352x288 and I'm capturing
at 640x480. I'm going to try recording at 352x288 and see how I go quality wise.
MPEG-1 is a lot faster to compress than MPEG-2 or -4.

I did manage to clock my Duron 700 up to 900.
Instead of that wussy graphite or conductive paint to close the bridges..
Real men solder them shut with fine linking wire..

Thats fun when your hand shakes and the bridges are so close together that
your shake sweeps 3 of them at once :p)

I have not tried a serious compression run at 900 MHZ, but a night of
cyclic kernel compiles completed fine, so I assume it's pretty stable.
Temp came up about 5 deg C.

I clock it back down if I want to do something serious..

--
Brad....
                   /"\