[plug] Basic Linux routers

Russell J Clarke buddyholy at softhome.net
Tue Jul 10 17:39:21 WST 2001

Here are a few thoughts on the diskless router thingy.

Correct me if im wrong,
If you can get the filesystem you can put it + the kernel onto a boot ROM of a network card.
It might work I think ive seen it done before. I think you can even use part of the EPROM in
your motherboard to be used as a mountable device

You could even use a Flash ATA Disk on Chip device - Its basicly a large Eprom
with a IDE port on the end so you can just slot it into the IDE port of your motherboard.

take a look at
http://www.acqu.com/usa/ifd-xxx.htm - this version supports a flash disk of 8MB to 1.4 gig flash  drives/

It depends on what you term being diskless(no moving parts), hope this has help

cheers
Russ

Russsell Clarke (buddyholy at softhome.net)
Untitled Position - But open to offerings of employment ;-)