[plug] 1) rsync 2) rsync vs ftp 3) ftp in W2k vs Linux

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 10 21:36:35 WST 2001

rsync is a wonderful program :-)

Quite a few of the beta distributions are minor changes, and yet so few
of them set up the preferred rsyncd server. (kudos to e-smith)

I've got a script called update_iso, which I run after renaming old.iso
to new.iso (eg e-smith-4.1.1.iso to e-smith-4.1.2.iso)

#!/bin/sh
rsync -avv --progress --stats \
rsync://209.217.125.238/e-smith/e-smith/e-smith-4.1.2/iso/e-smith-4.1.2.iso\
 .
wget --passive ftp://ftp.e-smith.org/pub/e-smith-4.1.2/iso/md5sum
cat ./md5sum
\usr\sbin\md5sum ./e-smith-4.1.2.iso

Which downloads the iso via rsync, downloads the relevant md5sum, and
then displays the downloaded iso's md5sum. My 56K modem after the
4.1.1b5 to 4.1.2 final took 13MB and an hour. And I'm still not in the
iiNet Bad-Boy Pipe(tm) If the CRC isn't the same, just run the script
again. (Don't overdo it though)

Now if only Nero would play ball nicely :-)

ftp doesn't do any real checking AFAIK, and setting an overlap doesn't
do much.

PS There is a rsync for windows too!

Regards,

Craig.