[plug] RedHat/Mandrake

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Wed Jul 11 18:10:15 WST 2001

On Wednesday 11 July 2001 16:30, Leon Brooks wrote:
> NVT Australia wrote:
> > Both redhat and mandrake suck :-)
> >
> > Redhat feels clunky in operation, mandrake is worse and just often
> > doesn't work at all.
>
> OTOH I've had Mandrake work in more places than RH, it has better
> security by default, and it has direct support for a lot of devices and
> systems which are a long download and many dependencies away from a
> standard Slack installation.

Long? One kernel source tarball and a few user-land utilites for *insert
weird device* isn't really a long download. Since I would re-compile the
kernel on most systems I set up anyway, It isn't a problem anyway. But I will
admit that the kernel source tarball is getting awfully big these days, while
my modem connection isn't getting any faster. :-)

But As I said in the original email, this is only my snapshot on it at the
moment. I may change my opinion at any time, and my opinion is garrenteed not
to agree with everyone elses. In particular, I will probably move towards
debian for production systems to ease the job of maintance and documentation
of said systems.

> > The only distribution I have been happy with is slackware.
> >

> > Beau Kuiper
> > kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
>
> Bear in mind that this is Beau "What, me document?" Kuiper speaking, so
> the choice of Slackware seems singularly appropriate... (-:
>
> Cheers; Leon

Yeah, that probably factors into it. I can rearrange everything without
worring about the due process of package based distributions. :-)

I see you finally got out of under the mountain of work you have :-)

PS, I got one of these really clickity, heavy, industrial type PS/2 IBM
keyboards today.

Have fun
Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au