[plug] Basic Linux routers

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Wed Jul 11 22:05:20 WST 2001

Err .. my logic wouldn't necessarily run that way.

Most "floppy" -based routers just boot from floppy and load everything into
RAM/RAM-disk.  Pull the floppy out and keep it in your handbag and your
router keeps running.  This way, you just need it to boot.  Put a decent UPS
on the system and you would almost never need to re-boot.  Copy the boot
disk regularly if you're really paranoid that it'll decay.

Don't get me wrong, the ROM/EPROM alternative is superior - but the floppy
drive alternative is so cheap and readily available that it is certainly
worth considering.

Just my thoughts.
- Brian.