[plug] Password checking ..

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Thu Jul 12 11:08:55 WST 2001

Perl/SysAdmin Gurus,

I need to check that a user's password is the same and correct on two
seperate systems (RH6.2).  And the tool at hand is Perl.  Other system utils
may be available, but using a different language isn't desirable since
everything else is in perl.

They both run MD5 shadow password files and the users have no login shell
(/bin/false).

I've had a look on CPAN and can't find anything directly useful.  Does
anyone have any suggestions on how this could be achieved scriptually?

I don't really want to ftp the /etc/shadow file and do a textual compare.
I'm wondering if trying a POP3 connection to each machine for that
username/password would work, but then I may not always know the password
but just want to know if they are the same.

Any thought/suggestions appreciated.

- Brian.