[plug] en_GB kde i18n

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Sat Jul 14 18:07:40 WST 2001

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 03:37:06PM +0800, John Knight wrote:
> The question I have today is would you prefer to see program or programme? I
> learnt German as a child and hence 'programme' makes more sense to me but
> the majority of people aren't the same as myself in that area.

I prefer 'program' for computer programs and 'programme' for any other
programme (p... of events, concert p..., etc). From casual
observation, I think a lot of other non-US English speakers do the
same.

> Please give me feedback on this! Also, we have changed words like
> 'theorize' to 'theorise' due to more common usage and the fact that
> the 's' is the original. Any objections?

What I was taught about this is that -ise is preferred for words which
came into English via French (where -ise would be the spelling), and
-ize for those formed in English itself.  What I actually do myself is
use -ise by preference for most things.  You may be interested to read
Fowler's notes on this topic, if you haven't already:

http://www.xrefer.com/entry/594436
http://www.xrefer.com/entry/594421

Colin