[plug] XFree86 4.0.3

Adrian Woodley AWoodley at IINet.net.au
Tue Jul 17 20:38:24 WST 2001

G'Day,
            I'm expiriencing a problem with XFree86 version 4.0.3 and am
wondering if anyone else has had it. The problem runs like this: after
an unknown amount of time, the mouse cursor will display several pixals
to the right of its actuall location, making it a little tricky but not
impossible to navigate around the computer. I'm currently using the
XFree v 4 server that comes with Mandrake 8.0, but I've had the same
problem with a self compiled copy of the same version, running on a
RedHat 6.2 distribution. Restarting the X11 server has no effect and the
only solution I've found is to restart the computer.
The mouse I'm using is a Logitech Optical Wheel mouse (USB), but I've
had the same problem with a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical using both
USB and PS2. From memory I also had trouble with a standard PS2
Intellimouse.
The computer uses a VIA chipset and I've had no trouble under Windows,
however the time spend in Windows isn't long enough to have tested this
thoroughly.
Version 3 of XFree has no problem, but does not fully support the mouse
(at least I think it doesn't).
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a similar problem or knows
of an fix for it. And yes, I know I could just use V3 of XFree, but
thats not the point is it! :)

Adrian Woodley