[plug] OT: Perth SPAM

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Thu Jul 19 08:40:04 WST 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:57:47PM +0800, Ryan wrote:
> iiNet should care because this is not an isolated incident and in my case
> the email address it was sent to is the default email address for my account
> which is overridden by my domain and I guarantee that email address has NOT
> been written, verbalised or referenced to in any means by myself or anybody
> except iiNet.

They probably used it as the admin contact email for your domain name
registration, and the spammer probably got it from a whois query.
Certainly that's what a whois on slowest.net suggests. Same thing
happened to me a while back.

iiNet could perhaps reduce their customers' spam count by offering to
list their own dns admin address in that slot of people's domain
resitration listings - but that would mean more work for iiNet, so
they'd probably have to charge extra for it. What they could and
probably should do without extra cost, however, is ask in advance what
email address customers would like listed in the whois database
("which address do you prefer to receive spam on?").

Colin