[plug] OT: Perth SPAM

Simon Scott simon.scott at flexiplan.com
Thu Jul 19 09:00:15 WST 2001

	What I want to know is, does anyone actually respond to spam beyond
trying to get rid of it?

	I mean, I have *never* been even vaguely interested in any spam
email ever sent to me over the course of 8+ years. And I certainly have
never responded to a single one. These days I dont even check the email to
see if its spam, if its from an unknown email addy or has no subject or
whatever I just delete immediately.

	Has anyone ever responded to spam? Why do they bother? Do I really
want to see pictures of Buffy f***ing????? Well, maybe, but not on their
terms :) lol

	Regarding Colin's point below, if people really are willing to go to
such lengths to avoid spam, why are the spammers spamming? What sort of
response rate do they get to make it worthwhile?

	We should have laws like in Washington :)

	iiNet could perhaps reduce their customers' spam count by offering
	list their own dns admin address in that slot of people's domain
	resitration listings - but that would mean more work for iiNet, so
	they'd probably have to charge extra for it. What they could and
	probably should do without extra cost, however, is ask in advance
what
	email address customers would like listed in the whois database
	("which address do you prefer to receive spam on?").

	Colin

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com