[plug] ATO eTax: media enquiry (fwd)

Ryan ryan at slowest.net
Thu Jul 19 19:37:44 WST 2001

This is not of quotable merit, but.. many of this, but ages ago
when Commonwealth netbank was distributed as a separate
application the same thing happened, only windows was
supported.

I went to great lengths to enquire why and I was
told by their 'top IT people' that the encryption algorithms they
use that have proven to be the most effective are licensed by
Microsoft, and that catering for other operating systems where
they could not use this same encryption would be a distinct
security vulnerability.

I don't know what the algorithm is or any more than that, but it
is possibly a similar deal relating to some for of licensing here?

Ryan