[plug] Linux Mail Server?

connell connellp at wantree.com.au
Fri Jul 20 17:57:23 WST 2001

	I recently heard of a country college that has a novell network with
Win 98 clients.  At the moment, one user on her workstation has a dialup
connection to the ISP and fetches the college's email, prints them up
and distributes them to the local recipients. Likewise, they hand their
typed-up email to her and she retypes them in outlook and sends them via
the ISP.  Strange but true.

	To my mind, a more sensible arrangement would be to have the modem
hanging off a server which would also act as a mailserver.  As a convert
to the Linux cause, my first reaction to say use a linux server.
Unfortunately, my enthusiasm does not compensate for my lack of
knowledge of the mail process.  Perhaps some plug members could suggest
what would be required to make a linux mailserver capable of fetching
mail from an ISP and distributing it to Outlook express mail readers on
Win 98 machines in a Novell network, and sending mail from the
workstations to the ISP.  Is it even possible?

PaulC