[plug] apt-get upgrade problem

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Jul 23 13:52:36 WST 2001

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 07:53:11PM +0800, Nigel Duff wrote:
> Did an apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade on my Debian unstable box last
> night. Half way through the configuration failed. Running
> apt-get -f install returns the following error;
>
> Setting up libc6 (2.2.3-7) ...
> date: invalid date `Sun Jul 22 19:37:10 WST 2001'
> dpkg: error processing libc6 (--configure):
>
> The time changes to whatever the time is that i run apt-get.
>
> Anyone have any ideas where to look to fix this?

There is a bug with the current unstable version of libc6, in the
postnist script. Look at /var/lib/dkpg/info/libc6.postinst. This is the
script that is run when it is configuring the package. For fun, you can
edit this script. The first line is "#!/bin/sh"; you can change this to
"#!/bin/sh -x" and see the script as it runs (man bash, man sh; -x will
echo to stdout and execute the script).

There is a proc defined called zoneinfo. It just prints out the timeznoe
info to the sys admin doing the update. What I did was take a copy of the
secnod variable being set, copied out the original, and modified the copy
to remove the "-d $?????" after the command "date" in parenthesis.

The old version says:

        TZdate=$(LANG=C TZ="$timezone" date)
        UTdate=$(LANG=C TZ=UTC0 date)

The new version has problems with extra stuff after the UTC0 date. If you get
yuor one to be similar to the above, it should be fine. I say "copy"
the original line, because you may want to put it back to who the package
shipped if you have problems.

Hope this helps.

  James

(Just back yesterday from Debian 1 Conference)

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james

 Remainder moved to http://www.rcpt.to/~james/james/sig.html