[plug] Powering down hard disks

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Mon Jul 23 20:37:08 WST 2001

Hi,

If disabling virutal memory doesn't work, you need to disable each of your
programs, on at a time, until it does spindown. (the access every 5-10
seconds stops)

Also, I remembered something else. Syslogd may be causing your problems
because it always syncs the logs on every log entry that is entered. You need
to disable this (arguably incorrect) operation by prefixing all filenames
specified in /etc/syslog.conf with a '-'. You can read the syslog.conf
manpage for more information about it.

Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au