[plug] KDE desktop freezes whole machine when left on overnight

Aunty Jack delilah at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 23 21:58:44 WST 2001

hi
 does it give your hard drive a super work out? i had mdk 7.2 on my 750 Mhz
duron with 128 M RAM, running kde and the machine used to sporadically go
into disk access convulsions. this would give the appearance of a frozen
machine, but actually, it was responding - only _v e r y_ slowly. i was never
able to tell which process was using up all the juice. some talk around this
problem on the list a coupl of months ago seemed to coalesce around the
notion of netscrape being the culprit, but this was definitely not the case
for me, as i wasn't even using it. sometimes it would happen just at the
empty desktop. Never happened whemn i wasn't running X. so maybe it was X,
maybe it was kde.

anyhow, using rh 7.1 now, with later versions of both X and kde, and (that
particular !) problem has never recurred.

aunty.